Welcome back everyone!
I hope you had a fantastic summer holiday and enjoyed your time off :)
Year 5 is a great year and I can't wait for you all to experience it.
- Your diaries should be in everyday. We expect you to be writing in your reading at least 4 times a week at this moment in time. In class we will be looking at examples of how this should be laid out and expect you to follow these. You should be including a reading skill (prediction, questioning, clarifying vocabulary or summary) when you write these in,
- Spellings will be given out on a Monday and tested the following Monday.
- Homework will be given out in the first week of each half term and will be due back in the last week of the half term.
- Mathletics will be updated every fortnight and is part of your homework.
- TT Rockstars is also something you should be regularly be using to keep your times table and division knowledge fresh and the best that it can be.
- PE days are Tuesday and Thursday
- PE kits should be in everyday and be complete (top, shorts, shoes). Girls should preferably have a spare hair tie inside. Trainers are allowed to be worn, although they should be ones that you aren't worried about getting scuffed or muddy. Tracksuit bottoms (plain) are also acceptable for outdoor PE.
- Water bottles should be brought in everyday and, where possible, labelled clearly with your name.
- Pencil cases are allowed but you must be aware that these are your responsibility.
- Reading books from school are allowed to go home as long as they are regularly brought back in.
Our first Science topic is Space and we will be looking at the book 'Cosmic' alongside this in our English lessons.
In maths, we will be closely looking at place value of numbers up to 1,000,000, including ordering and comparing numbers, as well as rounding.
Writing - To use relative clauses within our writing to give the reader additional information.
Reading - To use clues within a text to infer what a character is thinking/feeling.
Maths - To round numbers up to 100.000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000 or 10,000.
What would you put inside your magic box???
These are some of our interesting counter balances. We have been working on extension, control and using different levels.