Here is the summary of key findings for parents and pupils from our latest report:
Hook Lane is a good school.
- The head teacher, senior leaders and governors, have acted quickly to ensure that the school sharpens its focus upon improvement. As a result, the quality of teaching, learning and assessment is good.
- Governors are proactive in holding the school to account. They work in partnership with the head teacher to secure improving standards.
- Good teaching ensures that pupils are making good progress in reading and maths.
- Children in the early years make good progress as a result of good teaching. They develop positive attitudes to learning. The outdoor area is stimulating for the vast majority of children.
- Phonics is taught well in Year 1 and Year 2 and as a result, standards in both reading and spelling have improved.
- Pupils from the additional provision for children with autistic spectrum conditions receive a good education. The school ensures that they are fully integrated into mainstream school. Transition procedures for pupils who move on to specialist provisions at the end of Year 6 are effective.
- Pupils are polite, friendly and respectful to adults and to each other. They have positive attitudes towards their school and they enjoy learning. Pupils say that they feel safe.
- Teachers constantly check that pupils understand their work and usually correct misconceptions.
- Middle leaders are addressing the weaknesses in their areas of responsibility and are making a positive impact on pupils' learning.
What will we be working to improve further?
- We will ensure that pupils are challenged to maintain high standards across all subjects when writing.
- We will provide greater challenge for the most able pupils, particularly in reading and writing.
- We will ensure that more is expected of pupils with education, health and care plans and statements of special educational needs, so that they are always challenged to do their best and learn well at every opportunity.
To read our full report please click here: Find OFSTEd report