Welcome to Year 2! We will be having lots of exciting lessons, trips, discussions and opportunities to learn. To help your child, please can you insure to read with them every night for at least 10 minutes. Diaries should be signed after reading and returned to school each day. We will be changing reading books every Friday. If your child finishes their book, please do not hesitate to read it more than the once and please look at the ideas below.
Some ideas you can do with your child after you read with them:
- Draw a picture about what happened in the story. What does the main character looks like? What might they be doing? Where would they be doing it?
- Can you predict what would happen next if your story didn't end when it did? Give it an entirely different ending.
- Can you tell someone what happened in the story in as few words as possible? Write it down.
- Write down any interesting words you find. What does it mean? Can you use it in a sentence?
- Can you come up with a question to test your parents about what has happened in the story?
Your child will be given out weekly spellings. They will be given out on Monday and tested the following Monday.
Topic homework will be given out half-termly. This will give your child of time to show their creativity with their tasks.
Maths homework will be set in Mathletics and Times Table Rockstar to reflect what we are learning in class. Make sure you are logging in regularly because there will be competition between the year 2 classes! It is vital that everyone in year 2 learns the 2s, 3s, 5s, and 10 times tables.
We have the best time in year 2!
Thank you for your support,
Mrs Cakir and Mr. Cheeseman